Daily Musings
Thoughts and Ponderings
Poems and Other Things

Thursday, May 5, 2011

The Victory Sign

      This tale is from Barry, one of the more long-winded storytellers among the septuagenarian retirees at the Serramonte Mall: -
        "When the liberating American forces finally reached our village in Nueva Ecija, I tasted for the first time the American soldier's piece of chocolate candy (K-ration).  I became obsessed with it and kept visiting their big tent, offering to polish their boots, so I could get rewarded with the chocolate.  One day, a soldier called me to polish his suede boots.  No matter how I brushed them, they would not shine. Seeing my quandary, the soldier smiled and just gave me the chocolate bar I was salivating for. He said to see him again maybe tomorrow when he has his other boots on. I was a barefoot 11year-old  then with naturally air-conditioned (full of holes) tee-shirt. I said 'Salamat, Thank you, Victory Joe', but that was the last time I saw him..."
      To us who were kids during World War II, all these American G.I.s were Victory Joes. With middle finger and forefinger raised up in the air, we waved our victory sign, shouting "Victory Joe, Victory Joe!" as the troops passed through our villlage to the battlefront....     Since by now most of these soldiers are truly departed, we bid them farewell with the same two-fingers Victory sign: - "Peace be with you, Victory Joe."
      Peace is Victory, indeed!
.

No comments:

Post a Comment